The original Miss Jones

Friday 16 January 2009

A visit to the Hospital .......


I am going to the hospital today for a Pre-assessment for my Cardioversion which is for scheduled sometime soon. I am taking this opportunity to explain it in the hope that by putting it into writing will make some sense of it all for me too.

Since last June after having an anesthetic administered for removal of a polyp I developed arterial fibrillation which is an irregular heartbeat. The Cardiologists want to put it right, so do I, but I never had a proper explanation as to why it happened in the first place. I was put on a huge amount of medication to keep the blood thin as this condition can cause strokes and heart attacks. Having taken this regularly and have blood tests every week to monitor the level of thinning in my blood, I should be grateful that I am at last on their radar for correction of this condition. However, I am still confused. All requests for clarification of what they intend to do have fallen on deaf ears, both verbally and in writing. Add that to the fact that I have no faith in this particular hospital does not add up to confidence.

So they want to perform Cardioversion. What is it? It is a procedure that attempts to restore an abnormal heart rhythm. It is conducted under a general anaesthetic ( Remembering I got it from being under anaesthetic in the first place) this does not fill me with confidence.

A defibrillator is used to apply a controlled electric current to the chest wall which will hopefully restore the heart back to it's normal rhythm.

I have asked what the success rate is with this and not surprisingly get no direct answer. What are the long term effects of living on medication. No answer. What happens if the procedure fails. No answer. It is not surprising that I am cautious of having this done. I would have a lot more respect for someone who sat me down, talked me through it and explained the consequences of it all. I shall have one more try this afternoon to repeat these questions.

I find it slightly frustrating when people say, 'Oh I know someone who had that done and they are fine' but is usually the person making that statement that has the least knowledge of what is happening! Small comfort!

No comments: