The original Miss Jones

Monday 26 January 2009

Diets and weight watching


One in four Britons is currently trying to loose weight. Two in five women say they are dieting 'most of the time', so why don't diets work? Well according to the hospital where I am under supervision for another problem, diets do work, but over a long period of time. The 'Quick Fix' method is a recipe for disaster. The hospital says that we undertake diets with very unrealistic expectations and that just planning to use a 'Quick Fix' diet makes us eat more. I will go along with this statement. Each time I plan to go to a slimming club, I eat more in the lead up to my start date than I would normally.


So what do we do? Healthy eating we all know is the key. I have been reading a book by Ian Marber and he advises against counting calories and says he is against the 'wagging-finger' approach to dieting. He advocates, eat sensibly, small amounts but often, do not get very hungry, and you can pair food to get maximum benefit from the combinations. It has to be worth a try as all else is failing for me.


Lent begins on February 25th. Last years I gave up chocolate and any product containing chocolate and I succeeded. If I can be sensible for the next month and then repeat my Lent commitment then, maybe I will see a difference in my weight by Easter. The message seems to be slowly does it!

No comments: