The original Miss Jones

Tuesday 20 January 2009

An MOT Morning


This morning was the morning for my car to have it's MOT. I got to the garage at 9.25, five minutes before the time it was booked in. It is a large place, like a huge warehouse with hundreds of cars for sale. I had to go to the desk at the far end of the showroom to announce my arrival. On my way to reception I passed six vacant desks and PC units, all waiting patiently for their owners to take up position but there was not a soul about!

The girls at the desk remembered me as I had a service done there recently. They were all muffled up in outdoor clothes, such was the temperature in this place. 'The MOT will take about 45 minutes' said one of the girls while the other looked on. I moved to the seating area and got out my book. I was wrapped up well as I remember this chilly place from the service! At 9.45 someone comes from the Test Bay to collect my keys. I have now been there 20 minutes and only now are the mechanics are picking up my car.

I looked around this huge place, apart from me there was no one else waiting. The work stations were still empty and there was one salesman walking around the showroom floor blowing on his hands as he walked. 'Bleak job' I thought.

10.30 came. I had finished the chapter in my book, read last weeks 'Sun' newspaper left on their coffee table and then someone shouted my name. Across the floor the receptionist shouted 'It needs a new windscreen wiper to pass' and then shouted out the price. I nodded in agreement. What was my choice here? If I needed that work done to get the certificate then I wasn't going to say no!

Someone else joined me and said companionably 'My MOT will all be done in 45 minutes and then I can go home and get a hot cuppa'. I smiled in return. It was now 10.50! (45 minutes, he'd be lucky!).

Eventually my car was ready. I looked at the bill. They had quoted me £35 for the basic MOT and had charged me £40. 'That offer was only on last week' said the girl. Rogues! I paid up. I was cold and bordering on being stroppy, so I just left. What is it with garage staff and women customers. Do we all look the same STUPID?

1 comment:

Ms. H said...

What lovely photographs you take, 'Jack Frost' was equisite and also what a brilliant blog you write!
Keep it going!
'Hope you enjoy "Burn's Night".

'Jane'