The original Miss Jones

Tuesday 13 January 2009

Roadside Floral Tributes


As I was heading out into the countryside to meet a friend for lunch today, I passed another roadside tribute site. This was one of the most upsetting that I have seen to date. Along with the usual bouquets and candles was a full size 'wreath' spelling out the persons name. We are used to seeing these in hearses and in cemeteries, but I personally have not seen one on the roadside before.

I don't feel such roadside memorials are appropriate, but this practice has become almost customary in this country.

I read in the local paper recently that the Police and Highway chiefs in Wales are trying are to restrict floral tributes at fatal accident spots, allowing such memorabilia only for short periods of time. They view these displays as potential hazards.

I thank God every day of my life that my own two sons are safe and I understand how emotive this issue can be, but is this how people want their loved ones to be remembered, when the flowers have rotted and the cellophane is blowing around the area, and mud splashed soft toys, cards and so on are just left to rot ?

No comments: