The original Miss Jones

Tuesday 6 January 2009

Newport Castle

Newport Castle

Newport Castle is such a familiar land mark, that it almost goes unnoticed in ones day to day life. On the weekend I was a passenger in my friends car and we were heading for the supermarket that is situated virtually next door to the Castle. I managed to get a good look at it instead of having to concentrate on the traffic. It made me pause and think, what do we who live in the City know about it. The answer, for myself, was very little.



So what do I know? I know that the castle was established in the 14th century and it has a stone fortress of which only the east front survives. The remainder of the castle belongs to the 14th and 15th centuries. I remember looking all this up when one of my sons had some homework to do on Newport historic buildings project. I have said this before, it is surprising what you remember from homework days!!

I read in the 'nightly' paper some while back that access to Newport Castle is closed for the foreseeable future ( no photographic opportunity there then .....) This has something to do with Health & Safety issues as the place is considered unsafe.

In my mind it exists as one of the forgotten treasures in South East Wales. I must make some time to see what else I can find out about the Castle and see how close I can get to it for photographs.

One of the good things about retirement, is there is plenty of time to do all these things because retirement is hard if you still have an active mind and are the kind of person that needs to be busy!

No comments: