The original Miss Jones

Friday 30 January 2009

Gabrielle 'Coco' Chanel

Gabrielle 'Coco' Chanel
1883- 1971

I watched a programme on television last night about 'Coco' Chanel. I thought I would take a look as I have contributed to her fortune over the last 35 years, I wanted to see how it had benefited her!

Chanel once told 'Harper's Bazaar' that "simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance". How true that is. Chanel always kept the clothing she designed simple, comfortable and revealing. She took what she considered poor fabrics like jersey and upgraded them. Not that I have never owned any of her designs obviously, I have never had the money to do so, but I am addicted to her perfume, and that is where I, and millions of other women, helped with her fortune! I suppose after this length of time you could say Chanel No.5 is my 'signature fragrance'. However depleted my circumstances I don't intend to change that fact at this point in my life.

In 1921 Chanel No. 5 was the first perfume to have a designer name attached to it. She was the person who set the standard for future designers to do the same. I had a bottle of Chanel No.19 given to me at Christmas, it must have cost a fortune, but I am not impressed with it at all. To my way of thinking it does not come close to the fragrance of No.5, but we are all different.

This lady, from very humble beginnings, born in the poor house, abandoned to a convent at six years old to have a harsh upbringing with nuns started sewing in her teens, went on to make a huge mark on fashion all over the world, all her own designs and ideas. I really enjoyed this programme, it really is a story of rags to riches. It was on the History channel if any of you Chanel users, or wearers for that matter, want to watch this programme as these things are always repeated!

No comments: