The original Miss Jones

Monday 19 January 2009

Charity Callers


This evening I have been trying to read and do some preparation towards my homework for next weeks Creative Writing class. The phone has rung twice. It wasn't friends or family ringing for a chat to break up the evening , I had two calls in one evening from charities trying to give the hard sell to members of the public.

I rang a friend of mine who is in tele-sales and asked about this kind of pressure selling and he told me that some training forums are geared just to sell Charities to the general public. Any person who says that they maybe thinking about giving money will have their names passed on the Charity concerned and the Charity themselves will follow up that lead themselves with a letter and a free pen or printed name and address label to try and coerce the recipient to give money.

The Charity Commissioners have launched a formal inquiry into these practices and a report will be published on the findings in due course, but in the meantime they advise if you received this kind of phone call, ask for the name and address of the call-centre and the name of the caller's manager, tell them that you are making a formal complaint to the Charity concerned, and then follow that up with a call to the Charity itself.

A few weeks ago I had an animal Charity knock on my front door in the evening asking for money. In my book none of the above is acceptable. People should not have their private space invaded by people begging for what used to be a voluntary gift to worthy causes.

1 comment:

Ms. H said...

I heartily agree with you and also wish that the various 'charities' would not keep posting their plastic bags through my letter box as I am being inundated!