The original Miss Jones

Saturday 3 January 2009

Another Painting by Turner.


Richmond Hill - J.M.W. Turner - 1808

I am now coming to the end of my book on Turner .... a Christmas gift. I have had so much pleasure from this book. I am drawn to the above picture but would not necessarily want a print of it. I am not sure why. It is an early one of Turners paintings, according to my book, and he had not yet arrived at the audacious use of colour.

It is more gentle on the eye than some of his later works, but does not have that extraordinary technique that became his trademark.

That's the trouble with us Welsh valley people, read one book and you become an art critic ...... I do hope my sister doesn't read this entry!

1 comment:

Dr Selby Whittingham said...

A better guide is Stanley Warburton (tel. 01253 735563), now in his 90th year, who was involved in the Turner in Wales exhibition years ago and is writing a book on thst just after publishing Discovering Turner's Lakeland.