The original Miss Jones

Tuesday 31 March 2009

A reflective day.

Watching my friend, and helping her this morning when she was giving communion to people at a care home (where she celebrates Holy Communion every other Tuesday) was a privilege. The older generation were there watching her every move, well those that were awake anyway, and they so wanted to be part of the Communion service. It was touching. I was surprised at the percentage of the people there that were familiar with the communion ritual.

I was introduced to them when I went in, and when I engaged in conversation with them I looked into their eyes, I tried to have eye contact with them all when we exchanged the sign of the Peace. All life is there in those eyes. Hundreds of years of life experience between them, some hearty and most of them frail, but they had all been where we are now in life. It was all very spiritual and moving.

I have already invited myself along again as a helper or a just a communicant. Those lovely people left me feeling I wanted to return. They live in a world where visitors are few and they appreciate the contact with those that talk to them outside their family circle.

I made me think on my journey home how lucky I am to still be active and alert, and quite young compared to these dear people. I have a lot to thank God for.


The photographs today are of a Camellia taken in my friends garden a few hours ago, and a bunch of flowers that she have me to come home with. Thank you for a lovely day Miss L.

No comments: