The original Miss Jones

Friday 6 March 2009

Identity Card

My National Identity Card.

I borrowed a booklet from Mrs. H yesterday. It briefly outlines some of the events of the twentieth century and lists the highlights under the year they occurred.

The year that I was born - 1947 the following events took place.

Freezing weather gripped Britain. There were Icebergs off the Norfolk coast; and the sea freezes at Margate. Government calls for more sweat from the workers and Welsh Miners agreed to work on Sundays for the first time. The Archbishop blames Hollywood for the high divorce rate. It was announced that fuel rationing was likely.

In this booklet it has an article on National Identity Cards issued after the second world war, and I remembered that I still had mine (pictured above). I wonder if my sister still has hers or if they were not issued in the year she was born (1952). I find all these small facts fascinating especially when trying to relate them to my own life.

No comments: