The original Miss Jones

Wednesday 4 March 2009

The Pottery Process.

I thought I would show Blog followers the process that evolves in my Wednesday morning class. The above is the beginning of a Kitchen wall plaque I am making. This is how it look a couple of hours ago. It has been left in the drying bay until I return next week. Once totally dry the work in then biscuit fired to 1000 degrees centigrade.


After the biscuit firing process, all work is glazed by dipping it into a huge vat of of glaze, this is then allowed to dry, which only takes 5 or 10 minutes. Students can then paint their work. The glazed and painted pots are fired again when dry at a temperature of 1300 degrees centigrade, over a period of four or five hours. This is done during the week when students are not there of course. Finished pots are then stored until the student comes back to class and then they are given the opportunity to buy their work or in goes into a large skip for recycling.



The above is some work I have on-going. This is a coaster and a Christmas tree to hang on my tree at Christmas. This photograph is taken after the biscuit firing stage and is ready for me to glaze and paint next week. If you don't mind get dirty this is a relaxing hobby. I have wanted to do it for some years, but a lot of Pottery classes are being discontinued due to to funding issues. I was lucky to fine this one.

No comments: