The original Miss Jones

Thursday 5 March 2009

An 'Arty' time!

Memories - George Henry Broughton - 1896

Having gone to see Mrs. H just after 1pm for a coffee, I found myself still at her house at 8.15pm. By this time Miss A had joined us and we were all sitting around the dining room table discussing politics! It was a great afternoon and evening. We managed a fish and chip supper from the local chippy and there was not much left over for Keecha, Mrs. H's cat!

During the afternoon we discussed art, and some of the artists I have talked about on this Blog. Mrs. H then gave me a set of postcard prints, which she has had for some considerable time, of painters that are members of Royal Acadamy of Art. It was a lovely gift and I have used one of them as today's picture on this Blog. The painter is George Henry Broughton who was born in Norwich and taken to America as an infant. The English American painted this picture in 1896.

When I got home, bathed, put on my bathrobe and the front door bell rang. I tentively went to the front door. There was a girl standing there with a card in her hand explaining to me that she was from 'Livability' and this card, that was coming closer and closer towards me, was official proof that she was a charity worker. I shut the door on her, and went upstairs to watch what was going on from the bedroom window. They were charity workers and they did have a support van with the name emblazoned on the side. They were getting the same response form my neighbours as they did from myself. This was 8.35 in the evening. I am going to find this Charity on-line and complain. Who goes touting for money at this time of the evening?


No comments: