The original Miss Jones

Tuesday 24 March 2009

A day of reflection.



I went to meet my cousin in Hereford today. The weather is gorgeous and it is such a spectacular run from Newport. We met just outside Hereford and went to place some flowers on my Aunt's grave, my first visit there since her death just over a year ago. When I was wiping down the headstone I was reminiscing with my cousin about all the times I did the same thing with my aunt for her parents grave; our grandparents.

We took the decision not to go into the city for lunch and went for a coffee locally. Later we lunched at a much favoured place of ours where we both used to take my Aunt. After a super luncheon, we were reflecting on various things, and more reminising about our childhood. All in all it was a very nice day.

One thing I didn't know is that my father and his brother (our uncle) hand-made a dolls house for W. when she was a little girl, complete with lights inside. That must have been a very smart dolls house for it's time. I asked if she still had it and sadly she doesn't. My aunt gave it away many years ago which saddened my cousin. I can understand that, as my own mother gave all my toys away when I left home. I remember feeling outraged at the time. Perhaps that is why my own sons now have burgeoning attics in their own homes!

I wonder why Dad and uncle A. didn't make me a dolls house? Hmmm.

No comments: