The original Miss Jones

Tuesday 3 March 2009

Salvador Dali


Dali - The Last Supper - 1955

When Miss L arrived yesterday she brought me a book on Salvador Dali. I have previously received books from her by other artists, which I have enjoyed immensely. I just leafed through the book when she was here but could see even from that brief glance this was going to be a different experience.


The book states that Dali probably created his best works in the decade 1929 - 1939. He is famous for painting images which change according to the views perception of them. Again, as I have said many times before, I like what I like and to my surprise I like some of his work.


I particularly like the picture above which is one of his more traditional works. This to me, is probably what the Last Supper would have looked like. The brightness of the evening sky outside, simple fare on the table and Christ with the disciples, their heads bowed, kneel round a large stone table. Their solid forms seem to contrast somehow with the transparency of Christ. The two pieces of bread and the half-full glass of wine represent the sacramental meal and the figure outside the window represents the Holy Spirit I think, but I don't know that. Some of the more famous paintings of 'The last Supper' portrays this group in a dark opulent room, with the table laden with food and wine, and always away from natural light. I don't think it could have been like that at all, but it is just my view.


I am reading that Dali was a colourful character who had an affinity for partaking in unusual and grandiose behavior while continuing to work hard and remaining prolific as an artist, designer and writer. I hope this book tells me something of his writing. I will be really interested in that.

1 comment:

Art Person said...

I suggest the book, "Dali & Film.

You can find it at:

http://www.salvadordaliexperts.com