The original Miss Jones

Tuesday 17 March 2009

St. Patrick, St. Me and other things!

Google are fun! On an event day they use their Logo to reflect whatever the celebration is. This one is for St. Patrick's day.

Shamrock
An Irish friend of mine visited me some weeks ago I call him Irish M. He's kissed the Blarney stone many times, believe me. He told me that St. Patrick was Welsh and I laughed. After he left I looked it up on the Internet and he was! Welsh!

It seems when he was 16 he was captured from his native WALES where he was taken as a slave to Ireland, where he lived for 6 years before escaping and returning home to his family. After entering the Church he later returned to Ireland as a Missionary. Well, well! I shall not be so quick to dismiss Irish M as 'soft in the head' in future! I wonder do the Americans know all this? They must do! Hmm .. I wonder how much of any of these tales are true?

As for me I have spent St. Patrick's day morning cleaning down the kitchen cupboards, wiping the insides of the doors and cleaning the shelves that house many now unused cookery books. I feel Saintly this morning!


While I was vigorously interacting with the kitchen cupboards I was listening to Woman's Hour on Radio 4. They were discussing famous artists who had painted their mother. Whistler being the most famous for this - but most of them did, all the prominent painters, Van Gough, Gauguin, Constable and so on. Something else for me to 'dip into' .... when I have the time!

No comments: