The original Miss Jones

Monday 2 March 2009

Story Shredding or not?


Another lovely morning, bright Spring sunshine and a light frost! The presenter on one of these Magazine programmes said that the programme were considering it to be officially Spring and asking people to try not to wear black for six months in an attempt to raise people’s spirits. Huh, if I had so stop wearing black, I would have to walk around naked as most of what I own is black or has black in it. Just as well I have never been a follower of fashion!


Writing class was interesting this morning. We all had to take each other's work home last week and this was the bit when you spoke about your classmates work. I was so relieved to find that the young man sitting next to me, a tutor himself in another subject, opened up with my exact thoughts - that this was not exactly what we should be doing. It is the Tutors job to correct grammatical and punctuation errors, as for the content, it's not fair for such a small group to be criticising other people’s work when we are only beginners ourselves. The point was received fairly well by the tutor.


So now we have the bones of our stories. That's the good news; the bad news is all the hard work lays ahead - but not quite yet. Researches on the facts I have incorporated into the story have to be carried out for my commentary. I am fairly comfortable with that - I think!


We spoke briefly about the next module which is children's writing. I had hoped it was going to be traditional, but it's not. It is going to be contemporary writing for children which is a subject I know little about, however, I have to put that to the back of my mind at the moment and concentrate on this current piece. I had no idea that this course was going to be so all encompassing - but it's enjoyable. It certainly challenges you!

No comments: