The original Miss Jones

Monday 1 December 2008

Return to Blogging!

Every now and again if I don't Blog for a few days, I decide not to continue and then friends and family encourage me to do so and I try again. I didn't know so many of my family followed this Blog, I knew some friends did but that's all.

Nothing much has been going on here, but that is going to change at the end of the week when I go to Hereford for the day with a friend. We are going to an Advent Fair and I am quite looking forward to it. I have just has an email from her expressing her concern at the Parking at this time of year and she has said we may have to use the Park & Ride system. I am no stranger to this, so it won't be a problem to me.

When I lived in Cambridgeshire Park & Ride was an essential if you wanted to go into the City itself. With all the colleges, halls of residence, student accommodation, offices and retail workers there was little chance of parking anywhere! Most of the students went around on bikes and some of the 'oldies' as well, but that didn't appeal to me as this was not one or two bikes but a huge Exodus in and out and being the coward I am I felt safer on the bus!

In Newport where I live now, if there is Park & Ride I am not familiar with it. There never seems to be a huge problem parking, more of a nuisance that you have to look for it!

I first came to live here in 1966, when it was a charming market town, with a high street full of Ironmongers, Mac fisheries, and small select stores where you could go to purchase a 'best dress'. Since then, all that gentility has gone and the outskirts of Newport have grown so much with all the out-of-town shopping, that me, and I suspect hundreds like me, can have all your needs catered for without going into the City Centre. (Yes, it has it's City status now .... but it will always be a town to me).

So I shall look forward to the Park & Ride on the weekend and I am sure that it will bring back lots of fond memories for me of when I lived in lovely Cambridgeshire.

Well back to bed, I tried earlier but lying down is worse for my newly developed cough. Well I can't stay up Blogging all night so I will have to try again!

No comments: