The original Miss Jones

Thursday 25 December 2008

A Christmas present



One of my Christmas presents was a book about the painter Turner. I was delighted. If there is anyone out there reading this Blog, you will know that I have developed a belated interest in the Arts. An amateur interest I agree, but an interest never the less. I have said in this Blog previously that I like Turners work. About seven years ago I went to The Tate Gallery and saw 'The Turner Exhibition'. That was probably where my interest stemmed from, but with all the ensuing hoo-ha over my marriage breakdown and all the dross that went with it, that it is only now I am really thinking about such things as the Arts.

One thing I was intrigued with, just leafing through this book, is that Turner painted Tintern Abbey (see picture above). I lived within a few miles of Tintern Abbey (as the crow flies) for several years, and have very many photographs of it from different angles, but didn't know that it had been the subject of a sketch by Turner; but there is a lot I don't know about such things!

I know, through my sister, that Wordsworth had written a poem about Tintern Abbey in 1798, but had no idea that Turner had painted it. It comes from one of Turner's sketchbooks, which were a 'storehouse' of ideas for later paintings. It is dated 1825. I wonder if I can get a nice print of that.

There are other works of his from this part of Wales and across the border in Herefordshire, so he must have spent some time in these parts. I am seeing my sister this coming week, so I hope her knowledge of Joseph Turner is up to scratch!

Mmmmm ........ I must end this little missal or I will be late for my Christmas lunch, and as I am a guest so that will never do!

No comments: