The original Miss Jones

Tuesday 30 December 2008

Van Gough


Peach Tree in Bloom - 1888. Vincent Van Gough


This afternoon I have been looking at the works of Vincent Van Gough. I have looked at a few others and decided that their work is not for me at this point in time. However Van Gough I like, not necessarily his most famous works, but some of his paintings catch my imagination. I am using today to try and get a feeling for what I like.

There is quite a bit of information around about the artist himself, but not a huge amount more than what most people already know. How he suffered from a mental illness, and how he cut off the lobe of his left ear in 1888 during some sort of seizure. Then of course his tragic suicide after the breakdown of his friendship with Paul Gauguin.

I think if I am going to follow through this newly found interest, I need to know about the painters, what their lives were like, information on their background and so on. Just to identify the picture is not enough. I need to know how they discovered their talent and about their life journey in general.

The picture above is one he painted at a difficult time in his life. I like it, but also I once owned a house called 'Peach Tree House' and planted several Peach trees there. It was at a time when I was very happy, so I would like to own a print of this paintings for personal reasons. I must take my sister up on her offer of a day around the Art Galleries in London where she lives. Maybe I can pick up some decent prints of some of the artists I have been talking about this week.

No comments: