The original Miss Jones

Saturday 27 December 2008

A bit more about Turner!

Ludlow Castle - J.M.W Turner

Having had a bit more time last night, I read some more of my Christmas book on the painter Turner.

In my previous Blog I speculated that he might have come to Wales, as I had found a painting of Tintern Abbey. (see blog dated 25th December 2008). Well he did! He began a series of tours in search of suitable material for watercolours and oil paintings which engravers could reproduce and sell in large quantities. The series that included the Welsh paintings was titled 'Picturesque Views of England and Wales'. There were others of course, 'The South Coast of England' and 'The Rivers of France' and so on .....

No doubt there will be more about this man and other painters in this Blog in the future. I am starting to enjoy all this!

No comments: