The original Miss Jones

Friday 26 December 2008

Boxing Day

The Hunt at Bassaleg

Today I went to my friends Mrs.H for the day. We went to see the Local Hunt ride out of the village, something I haven't done since I was married. I have no strong views on the Hunting issues that are around, so didn't mind going.

As far as I can gather, arguments over the rights and wrongs of hunting are still fierce despite being well aired. The anti lobby say it is a cruel and inefficient way of protecting livestock from foxes and controlling their population. However the hunters say that shooting and poisoning would be far more cruel and that hunting with the hounds is an important civil liberty. I reiterate, I have no opinion on this issue.

During the morning I realised that I had left my curling tongs switched on, so I had to dash back home to switch the blooming things off!!! When I got back, having missed the Hunt moving off, Mrs. H had been joined by two of her sons, their wives/partners, some of her grandchildren and another friend.. They all graduated to the local pub where I joined them after I had completed my mercy dash to the curling tongs! The place brimming with people, we all sat at a huge table, and was full of atmosphere and laughter, so totally 'Christmassy'.

We eventually got back to Mrs. H's home where she had prepared a superb buffet before hand and we spent the afternoon there eating (far too much) and chatting. A real traditional Boxing Day. Nice!

No comments: