The original Miss Jones

Monday 15 December 2008

The Boat House, Laugharne

The Boathouse and estuary, Laugharne


Having spent some time scanning photographs in this morning, I came across a lot of Laugharne ( for any English reading this Blog it is pronounced Larn). The most famous resident of Laugharne was the writer Dylan Thomas. Born in nearby Swansea in 1914 Thomas' long term affinity with Laugharne began in 1934, four year later he moved there and lived there on and off until his death.

The Boathouse (photograph above) Thomas' last home, is set in a cliff overlooking the Taf Estuary and it is here that he wrote many major works including 'Under Milk Wood'. It is a very beautiful and peaceful place. Of course, these days it is a Heritage Centre. I suppose we should be thankful for that, because with it's audio visual presentations, original furniture and memorabilia we get a taste of life as it was for Thomas, a slice of history that we otherwise could only imagine.


I went to the cinema, by myself actually, in the summer months to see the film 'The Edge of Love' which was set partly in Laugharne. That's the main reason I went, to see the Welsh coastline scenery. I am not a huge fan of Thomas' work, but the film was about his love life not directly about his work, but I have a deep fondness for 'The Reverend Eli Jenkins Prayer' from 'Under Milkwood'. When my eldest son was twelve he wrote it out for me, by hand, so that I could learn it. I still have that hand written poem and wouldn't part with it for the world.


If anybody reading this is planning a trip in the Spring, as am I, this is well worth a visit. Dylan Thomas died whilst on a lecture tour of the USA in 1953 and is buried in the nearby St. Martins Churchyard. His grave is marked with a plain white Cross.


The area is popular with tourists, artists, writers, fishermen and bird watchers. If any of these is your particular hobby, this is definitely the place for you.






No comments: