The original Miss Jones

Tuesday 30 December 2008

Michelangelo

Ceiling in the Sistine Chapel, The Vatican, Rome - Michelangelo

After being with my sister last night and speaking with her this morning, I am looking at lots of Great Masters on the Internet, but as I have said before on this Blog I have this plebeian attitude of liking what I like and unfortunately, at this point in time, does not include all works of art.

I wish I had a fraction of my sister's knowledge of such matters, but that cannot be, but what I do have is an excellent tutor in her. I looked up and read about Michelangelo this morning and have actually seen some of his works in the Vatican in the late 1980's when on holiday in Rome. I remember being in awe of the ceiling in the Sistine Chapel with over 300 figures painted on it and the ceiling being well over 5,000 sq. feet. If finances allow I really must try and go there again. I remember a lot more about that visit, but for today's Blog I am tentatively focusing on the Arts.

If there is anyone out there reading this Blog I promise I will return to points of historical interest in Tredegar and the valleys soon, but for now please indulge me in my new passion!

1 comment:

Angela K. Nickerson said...

Dear Miss Jones,
What a lovely blog! I, too, love Michelangelo's work, and I travel frequently to Italy with groups of travelers to see Michelangelo's masterpieces. Perhaps you could come along some time! Until then, I plan to read your blog. It sounds like you had a merry Christmas, and I wish you a very happy new year.

Yours,
Angela K. Nickerson
Author: A Journey into Michelangelo's Rome