The original Miss Jones

Tuesday 16 December 2008

Life in a Housing Association?

A typical Housing Association property

Today a had a visit from a Housing Association officer. I was so exited. I tidied up, went mad with the duster, put my 'good' sweater on, and had a tea tray ready for this girl to arrive. What a lot of preparation just to get more personal details from me you must be thinking. No, that had nothing to do with it, I wanted to see how she performed, as I was a rookie housing officer myself in another life and I wanted to see how my long time rival Association performed! That was what the excitement was about, not my interview.


She was punctual, that always goes down well. In possession of all the facts, another good point, explained what an Assured Tenancy agreement was - a basic explanation, but accurate. Too hurried, yes, but we are all guilty of that, when you have six visits in an afternoon. All in all I would score her 7 out of 10. So that's how my once great rivals operate!


There was no explanation as to what a Housing Association (HA) is, but then, I didn't ask, but there are still an awful lot of people out there that are unclear of their role. I will write a few line about it, I don't mind picking up on what she omitted!


Years ago, housing choices were fairly straightforward, you bought your own home, or rented - primarily through the local authority or privately. Since the late 1970's, when Associations became the flagship of the Thatcher government, the options are much wider, helped by local authorities passing the reigns over to Housing Associations or registered Social Landlords (RSL's).

They are not-for-profit organisations, which owns, lets and manages rental housing. Revenue acquired through rent is ploughed back into the acquisition and maintenance of future and current property.

With a HA you pay a market rent set by the HA once a year, this would normally be less than you would expect to pay a private landlord for a property with a similar specification. There is a democratic element to most HA's: They will consult and involve you in decisions likely to affect you, usually through Tenant committee's. There is also automatic right of succession if your spouse/partner passes away. They are accountable to their funding body (the governing body that put up the money for their build or refurb in the first place). Housing Associations may or may not be registered charities.

Not everyone wants to own their own home, or can afford one, especially in expensive locations. So if you want to rent, or part own, your local HA is the place to start. They are guaranteed to be good value for money.




No comments: