The original Miss Jones

Tuesday 2 December 2008

Nine Arches Viaduct, Tredegar, Blaneau Gwent.


Having visited the dentist recently, I thought it might be a good idea to Blog about the Nine Arches in Tredegar, mainly because that where I lost my front tooth aged 13 years! I was devastated - my father even more so, with me being a girl in her very early teens. This was years before the advent of tooth capping and there was no alternative at the time but to take the remainder of the tooth out and replacing it with a false one!


How did I do it ? I had gone on a picnic with my mother and my younger sister along with Mum's friend and small son, so while the adults were spreading the picnic out on the green, close to the Arches, (see above picture) I went with the two younger children to explore. The younger children were playing in a very shallow stream (yes, those things happened then) and I saw a water weir. Bored with the other two, I decided to climb it, well it seemed like a good idea at the time, so up I went. I hasten to add it had been a dry summer and there was no water around, thus the shallow stream at the bottom. Half way up I stepped on some VERY slippery moss and slipped all the way down on my tum hitting my face on each step as I fell. Well can you imagine the commotion at the bottom?


I am not sure to this day whether my mother was more concerned about my broken tooth or having to tell my father what had happened! I do remember there was a lot of shouting and then silence over the next few days!


Some weeks later when I had my new false tooth in place, I was a real celebrity in school as no one had seen a false tooth in anyone so young before. For the price of half a Mars bar I would show them my tooth by slipping it down with my tongue from the back! I still have the false tooth (well not the same one of course), but the others are still all my own!


I have never been back to the Nine Arches Viaduct, just seen it from a distance but I read recently that there was an abseil challenge from the top, 80 foot to the bottom for charity. People were abseiling from Tredegars oldest and most famous landmark for the Hospice of the Valleys Charity who provide high class care for Cancer sufferers in Blaneau Gwent. Well done to all who took part. I would have supported had I known it was happening

.
Maybe I ought to go back and photograph the Nine Arches, my new camera hasn't had an outing for a while!

No comments: