The original Miss Jones

Thursday 25 December 2008

A Christmas Carol

This is my favourite Christmas carol. It started life as a poem by Christina Rossetti and it was later that it became a much love carol. I though it was fitting for Christmas morning.


A Christmas Carol

In the bleak mid-Winter
Frosty winds made moan,
Earth stood hard as iron,
Water like a stone;
Snow has fallen, snow on snow,
Snow on snow,
In the bleak mid winter
Long ago.


Our God, heaven cannot hold Him
Nor earth sustain;
Heaven and earth shall flee away
When he comes to reign:
In the Bleak mid-winter
A stable-place sufficed
The Lord God Almighty
Jesus Christ.


Enough for Him, whom cherubim
Worship night and day,
A breastful of milk
And a mangerful of hay;
Enough for Him, whom angels
Fall down before,
The ox and ass and camel
Which adore.

Angels and archangels
May have gathered there,
Cherubim and seraphim
Thronged the air;
But only his mother
In her maiden bliss
Worshipped the Beloved
With a kiss.

What can I give Him,
Poor as I am?
If I were a shepherd
I would give a lamb,
If I were a Wise Man
I would do my part, -
Yet what can I give Him,
Give my heart.

No comments: