The original Miss Jones

Wednesday 3 December 2008

A sad day .......


The lovely lady in the photograph is my auntie Doris, standing next to her is her brother, my father. They were both born in Ebbw Vale and together with their older brother and their parents lived in Brynheulog House, Ebbw Vale.

I absolutely adored my auntie and from a little girl right up until last Christmas I wrote to her regularly. She was one of the last genteel ladies left, well mannered, well spoken, had high standards and an inspiration to me all my life. Like us all she had her faults ... but then who doesn't?

An amazing lady, an Anglican for many, many years and worshiped in Hereford Cathedral. When in her 80's she converted to Catholicism and then became a regular worshiper at Belmont Abbey on Belmont Avenue in Hereford, not far from where she lived.

Just before she died in January 2008 she returned to the Anglican faith and her funeral was held in the Lady Chapel at The Cathedral Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary and St. Ethelbert in Hereford where she had spent so much time. She was 97 years old. Today would have been her 98th Birthday, that is why it is such a sad day for the family. I miss her, her guidance and her love for me.

They say it takes a minute to find a special person,
an hour to appreciate, a day to love them
and an entire lifetime to forget them.'
unknown







No comments: