The original Miss Jones

Thursday 18 September 2008

Welsh Valley Success

It must be my day for talking about Wales. That's not a problem for me as I am proud to be Welsh.

Popping out just briefly as I wait for the handyman to call me (I left a message on his answerphone earlier) I met a friend from the valleys who asked me if I had seen a programme on television last night about a family from the area in which we had grown up. I hadn't.

Many years ago my father played golf and was Secretary of his particular club but played at other local clubs. He had often talked about one particular club that he liked to visit and was full of admiration for the guy that had created the course, practically single handed.

In about 1980, this chap had cleaned a golf ball which had, unknowingly to him, a film of fertilizer on it. Subsequently he contracted septicemia and meningitis. He survived this and would not be daunted by his disability, sold his house and took his family to live in a caravan near the Golf Course, so that he could complete his dream of building a hotel near the course.

I remember very little of the story after this. I had long moved away from the area and when I did see my father, we don't talk about golf.

It appears that the guy continued with his dream until he died aged only 62years. However his sons took over to complete their fathers dream and although I knew they still owned and lived on this complex, one of Wales most premier hotels, I didn't realise that they were multi millionairs. My Dad would have been tickled pink!

It appears that these sons have been approached by the Ryder Cup Committee to provide the overflow accommodation for the Celtic Manor Resort, just down the road from me in the City, who are hosting this event. What an achievement for a family from the valleys, who still live in this small valley town near the Golf Course, also I was sold today, have not lost their Welsh Vally accents! I wish I had seen the programme, but doubtless it will be repeated.

The Ryder Cup will now be bringing a major input to Welsh tourism in the valleys, not just the cities and no one is more proud of that that me. Well done to the family concerned.

As I have been writing this, I have been listening out for the 'phone.....nothing. Huh, another night in the dark!

Oh ....... I rang my landlord to tell him of my plight, he was in Greece! That call must have cost me a fortune and I have still no result! My doomed week continues.......

No comments: