The original Miss Jones

Wednesday 3 September 2008

A Welsh Country Weekend continued .....

I seem to have rotted up the previous post trying to insert a photograph. I shall have to take advice from my good friend and 'unofficial tutor' when I visit tomorrow....as a 'blogger' herself, she will know what to do. Miss L to the rescue!

More about the Welsh Food Weekend ......... We sat and had lunch by a huge Lilly pond which was situated at the front of the house. Unfortunately the house was not open to the public during the Food Festival, but just sitting on the lawn by the Lilly pond in the presence of such grandeur was awe inspiring. For lunch we sought out the eatery tents and bought a Welsh steak burger each. They were huge and certainly put McDonald's to shame. A bottle of local juice, drank out of the bottle as the stallholder had run out of straws, completed our lunch and a further stroll with our cameras completed our lunch period. Returning to the exhibition stalls we each choose what we wanted to buy and set about doing so. When all purchases were procured, a huge home made ice cream, strawberry flavour for me and lemon cheesecake for the other two, completed our day at the Food Fair. What a lovely relaxing way to spend a Saturday. This is only the third year for this particular Food Fair. Well done to all the organisers and exhibitors.

On our return home I was invited to stay overnight with my long time old friends and agreed; so Sunday afternoon, despite the weather (as the sunshine had long abandoned us) we took a trip to Cardiff Bay. It was the complete opposite of Saturday. I don't really know what I expected from this place I had heard so much about (and had played a part in my life in recent years
when my husband left home to go and live there with his mistress) but it was nothing like I had imagined. It was full of mainly ugly buildings, arcades full of teenagers, fairground attractions dotted around and encircled by high rise living accommodation. Yes, there were some nice restaurants around, but nothing you felt you would want return to visit. Two historic buildings remained from the time when the place was the vibrant Tiger Bay and Docklands, the remainder of the new buildings were some of the drabbest architecture I have ever seen. No photographic opportunities there! For all the past bitterness towards the place, I was left with a sense of dissapointment.

No comments: