The original Miss Jones

Thursday 18 September 2008

Just Some Thoughts..........


I read an article about Dame Shirley Bassey this am. She was speaking about the area in Cardiff where she was born. As a child and a young girl I knew it well...Tiger Bay. My grandmothers sister lived in nearby Splott and visits there were always exiting as a child, and more so as I got older as both areas were situated near the docks and just the thought of being that close to something prohibited was exiting!

In a previous blog I wrote about a disappointing visit to the now newly named Cardiff Bay. Dame Shirley had exactly the same views. It was somehow satisfying that I had not been so wrong about a place that people of a younger generation (and some oldies) now rave about.

I thought with some sadness after finishing the article, how such colourful areas as Tiger Bay and Splott had vanished, swept away by a great tidal wave, to create an are such as Cardiff Bay.

Some may think I have a reason to dislike the place. I mentioned in my last blog the place has painful connotations for me, with my husband and his brand new mistress, my close friend, choosing to live there. That is not the case. It is the fact that areas such as Tiger Bay and Splott, elements of them that are endlessly timeless in our minds are gone forever...and for what ...progress?

No comments: