The original Miss Jones

Wednesday 24 September 2008

The heart of the matter

Having had a day at home waiting for a parcel to be picked up my thoughts have strayed to Friday when I visit the Cardiologist at the local hospital. I am hoping to be discharged from his care at the end of the consultation.

I had never considered the possibility of heart disease prior to this scare, other diseases yes, but never the heart. Unless there is a history in families, I don't think it is a disease that women think about, but women should be more aware of the risk of heart disease. I read in the surgery that more than 100,000 women have a heart attack each year in the UK and heart and circulatory diseases kills almost 10 times as many women as breast cancer, yet it is mainly thought of as a man's disease.

I wonder if it is because women are less likely to seek help if they develop heart symptoms, and are afraid they may not be taken seriously if they do. I certainly had a shock when I was told my heart had gone haywire under the anesthetic when undergoing minor surgery. Although not a heart attack, it was a very surreal moment to know that the main organ in my body was not functioning as it should.

This is why this new diet is so important and so imperative that I succeed. To keep the heart healthy is more important than looking good, but if I can achieve both then I will feel as though I have succeeded.

No comments: