The original Miss Jones

Friday 5 September 2008

Reflection

While watching this never ending downpour tonight and thanking my lucky stars I'm not in a flood area, I had an opportunity to reflect on the debacle that was the U3A today. Why did I feel like a fish out of water? Why did I feel close to claustrophobic in that environment?



There were about 26 middle class white ladies there, mostly in twin sets and pearls, all at least 10 years older than me and 23 of them were knitting ..... and chatting, 2 were card making and then there was me. I had on a pair of (very wet from the knees down) denim jeans and a rugby top and my much loved dangle ear rings. These very respectable ladies were either widowed or still married with Golden Wedding celebrations well behind them .....what would they make of of a divorcee?



'Don't sit there that's my chair and Joan sits next to me' was how I was greeted. 'You can sit over there'. How many times have I railed against that when new people come into Church. What a guaranteed way to make people feel uncomfortable and that they are intruding on a close knit group. (which I clearly was). How sad and unfulfilled these people must be without even knowing it. Ah well on to another project!

No comments: