The original Miss Jones

Saturday 6 September 2008

Having a Cup of Tea!

Sitting here watching more rain falling and contemplating my day with a hot cup of tea, I reflected on an article that I had read recently about tea making having undergone a revival in recent years. Well it never went out of fashion with me as I am definitely not a coffee person.

It seems that teabags were first introduced by tea merchant Thomas Sullivan of New York in 1908, I thought that they came about a lot later than that. I remember my mother saying how much more convenient they were than loose tea and my grandmother, who we lived with, complaining that they had no flavour! Well according to this magazine article the humble tea-leaf has come into it's own again and manufacturers are designing their teapots with inbuilt removable diffusers for both types of tea making. As for me I will continue to put a teabag in a mug when I am on my own!

Now after pondering on the history of tea, I must finish mine as i have some phone calls to make and decide on the rest of my day!

No comments: