The original Miss Jones

Sunday 7 September 2008

An Evening Out.

Last night I went out with two of my friends. This is somewhat unusual to go out on a Saturday night since I have found myself in this single life! We met up at a local eatery and had a very nice meal. The food was good, the setting and ambiance was just right. After we had eaten, our next venue was a local Working Men's Club, yes........ you did read that correctly! We were invited as guests for the evening by Mr. Dee who was the Artist performing at the club that night.

As we pulled into the car park my friend Mrs.H said 'where is it dear?' and I replied 'in front of you!' Yes, there it was indeed, a square,squat, small white washed building partially hidden beneath the giant pillars of the City bypass. In we went. I will always be grateful for the kindness of strangers, they made our transition from uncertain people tottering on the steps of the unknown into welcome friends whom they couldn't do enough for in the space of about five or six minutes.

When we were eventually settled into our seats and expecting the singer (who was the only other person we knew in this sea of faces) to appear, we were informed that first there was BINGO! I had never played Bingo in my life and my two friends only once before! The game started. It seems that if you cross off all your numbers on one line ...or the whole card...you shout HOUSE! I was fervently hoping this would not be the case, shouting HOUSE into a strange crowd, unsure that I had ticked the right boxes seemed pretty daunting. Then it happened 'Kelly eye No.1'. I ignored it! I had got a full line and then I ignored it!!! I look across to Ms.A, my lovely Hungarian new friend, who was sitting opposite and could see she was doing the same!

The Bingo finally finished without anyone winning a sausage! Not surprising really! Then it was time for the singer Mr Dee. He was as good as the first time we saw him and we sang along to 'sixties oldies' all evening. At the end of the evening he asked us to his next 'gig' at the end of the month. We accepted readily, as we feel we are real 'groupies' now with two shows under our belt and learning our way around the various venues.

When I got home I reflected on the evening and life as it is for me now. I thank God for my life, what I mean is I am grateful for the sweet ordinariness of living. Grateful for the warm glow that hangs over me when I have been with good friends, knowing we are helping each other get through our respective difficulties in life. God is good.

1 comment:

Muderma said...

Not like you to be silent for so long,Miss Jones !!

XX Granny