The original Miss Jones

Sunday 7 June 2009

A visit to Usk.





This afternoon Miss A. and myself took ourselves off to Usk. There were two reasons for this, Miss A had never been there before, although she has lived in this country for nearly twenty five years, and me because I wanted to suss out exactly where the castle ruins were and the access road etc.


The mission was partly accomplished. Miss A got to see Usk, which she loved, we walked around and had a coffee - then along came the rain - heavy rain!


I did, however, have a chat with a guy in an antique shop (where we were sheltering from the rain) and he told me how to get to the castle. I also managed to establish that there is a car park there. The rain seemed set for the afternoon and anyway I did not have my camera with me as this was just a reconnaissance mission - so we made for home.


I want to photograph Usk castle, as I keep reading how lovely the ruins are and the setting is suppose to be beautiful. All I know of it is that it is a Norman castle thought to have been founded about 1120, the same time as the town itself.


A project for the near future I think, when college is finished and my assignment finished.


The picture above is Usk Castle taken from a tourist brochure.

No comments: