The original Miss Jones

Tuesday 2 June 2009

Magical Morning .........









After a ropey start to the day, having to get an emergency appointment with the Doctor for the bite on my eye (which was closed to a slit with the bag underneath large enough to carry all my handbag contents - well almost) my day turned around.






I met a friend in the City to go to an art exhibition, which was being held in The Newport Museum and Art Gallery'. The exhibition was to celebrate the 60th anniversary of the Welsh Group of Artists. I was persuaded to go in the first place because the admission is Free! Am I glad I went? My fledgling interest in art was complimented by my friends extensive knowledge and the whole Exhibition made me tingle with excitement.




Once we had seen the pictures on view at the Exhibition, we went on to look around the rest of the display. Wonderful ceramics, more art on loan from other galleries and some wonderful examples of Clarice Cliff pottery in pristine condition. What a morning. I could have stayed there all day, which we nearly did, as we had our lunch there and then went on to look at the Museum on the next floor.




Both the exhibition and the Museum were well laid out, ceramics all in modern cabinets, monitored by high security cameras. I felt it was possible to reach out and touch some of the exhibits.




I was taken with some of the work of Shirley Jones (not currently on display) I bought a catalogue from a previous exhibition that was held of her work in 2002 ( for the princely sum of £1). The etching above is 'Tirabad' one of her earlier works. . A very interesting lady, but more about her in another posting.




I bought another catalogue too, 'The Box of Delights' from a Children's Book Illustrations Exhibition, previously shown at the Newport Art Gallery (also £1). What a little find! This will help me decided on the sort of illustration I want for my writing assessment. A truly Magical Morning!




````````````````````

The inflammation around my eye continues to subside, with any luck, I will be able to see enough to do some work on my pots tomorrow in Pottery class!

No comments: