The original Miss Jones

Thursday 26 February 2009

A slow tidy up!

Sir john Betjeman sculpture at
St. Pancras Station.


While polishing a small little antique desk that I own and never use, I thought it might be an idea to move the books lined up on the back of it, and polish underneath them instead of around them. In doing so I came across a book of 'Uncollected Poems' by John Betjeman. There was one poem in there called 'The Parochial Church Council'. It made me laugh and some lines were so true to life! Having sat on three PCC's and been Secretary for them all I could appreciate the poem. It is far to long to Blog it, and unless you are or were a PCC member it would hold no interest, but for those of us that are or have been it's brilliant.


I don't read poetry often, and followers of this Blog know that my favourite poet is Christina Rosetti, but I have kept this book aside to read. Betjeman is an impassioned writer and somehow captures the moment. He seems to revive in me feelings of days gone by and buried memories.


The picture above is a sculpture of Sir John Betjeman at St. Pancras station where it stands at platform level to celebrate the man and his poetry.


Right ...now what was I doing? - Yes, cleaning!

No comments: