The original Miss Jones

Monday 23 February 2009

Picasso's Weeping Woman.

Weeping Woman - Picasso 1937

It was my sister who suggested that I look at this when we were talking about my writing course. We were talking about being descriptive. What a portrait to describe?

It is a study of how much pain can be communicated by a human face. It must be the rawest human emotion to paint. The woman is holding a handkerchief to her eyes, while at the same time gripping part of the handkerchief with her teeth.

Abstract work does nothing for me, it never has. I was given an abstract painting once by a school teacher who was just starting up in his own studio on a part time basis. That picture was called 'The Three Warriors'. It was during my first marriage and we never hung that picture, but I held on to it for almost thirty years before finally giving it away.

Back to Picasso. He painted this picture in 1937. The woman's features are based on Picasso's lover Dora Maar. He once said of her ' Dora, for me, was always a weeping woman ... and it's important, because women are suffering machines'

On that note I will leave this entry for you to reflect.

No comments: