The original Miss Jones

Friday 6 February 2009

Credit crunch - what credit crunch?

Dans La Prairie - Claude Monet - 1876


I sat down with the daily paper earlier. It was reporting that a Monet painting (pictured above) had been sold for £1,329,250! The picture is of Monet's wife, Camille, reading in a meadow full of flowers. Now I know the super rich are not like you and me but it seems the zillionairs that gather at Christie's for this auction have not heard of the credit crunch! I wonder if it ever crosses the minds of these people that there are others out there loosing their homes and jobs on a daily basis. I don't suppose they think outside the box, just live in a protected world of wealth and grandeur.


Where does all this money come from in these recessionary times? Even if I had that kind of money, I have to ask myself, would I buy a Monet for that price just to hang over the mantelpiece as a talking piece for the equally rich to admire. It just seems so obscene, when people's struggles are so prominent, but I suppose this is how it has always been. There will always be someone out there who is rich enough to pay a fortune for a Monet.

No comments: