The original Miss Jones

Sunday 8 February 2009

Reverend Robert Walker


The Skating Minister - Sir Henry Reaburn 1790's

After Church this morning I watched a programme on Art & Artists while I ate my lunch. On this programme they were talking about the painter Sir Henry Raeburn. I have to say I had never heard the name before, but continued to watch as the story of the man and his most famous painting. It was interesting.

The painting (above) is on display at the moment in The National Gallery of Scotland. This serene skater is thought to be the Reverend Robert Walker skating on Duddingston loch in Scotland. Reverend Walker was the minister of Canongate Kirk a member of the Edinburgh skating society.

I reiterate my view on dark sombre paintings, they are not for me, however, I do appreciate the brilliance of the artist, but would not want to own this type of painting myself.

No comments: