The original Miss Jones

Sunday 8 February 2009

Mae Hen Wlad fy Nhadau

Wales 26 - Scotland 13

This afternoon I watched the second match of the 2009 Six Nation Championships. I only watch Wales I must admit, if they are not playing, I just watch for the scores of the other nations ....... well, at least I am honest!

It was Wales v Scotland at Murryfield and Wales WON! They played a strong game, especially the first half. If the team keep going like this, could it be we win the The Grand Slam again this year?

The leaflet above with Mae hen Wlad fy Nhadau printed on, was given to me on St. David's day last year when I went to a Saturday afternoon class to learn the words. Like most Welsh children I learned it phonetically at school and then built on it, but wanted to learn it properly as an adult. The afternoon was fun, with loads of vases of Daffodils and plenty of tea with plates of Welsh cakes on the tables. Before the class finished we all had to stand up and sing from this sheet. The other classes were just filing out when we stood up; the door opened and hoards of people flooded in to our classroom to join in ( I suspect because it was St. David's Day). It was a memorable afternoon ...even though most of my friends took the Micky out of me for attending this lesson!!!

No comments: