The original Miss Jones

Sunday 12 October 2008

Tredegar House


I feel Autumn has really arrived. Another beautiful day greeted me as I opened the kitchen door this morning. It was super. I had planned to do the housework today while listening to 'The Archers' on Radio 4, this has become my Sunday morning ritual! However, as the day was so glorious I decided to go out with my camera instead.


This gloomy City is surrounded by beautiful landscapes strangely enough, but I decided on a local venue Tredegar House. When I got there, the Heritage Centre and Gift Shop have closed for the winter. I knew the house was closed but thought there might still be someone about to chat to in the out buildings, who would refresh my knowledge of the history of the house, but it was not to be.


What I remember from 'Homework' days when the boys were in school, is that the mansion is 17th Century, designed in Charles the second architecture. Originally owned by Henry Morgan (Later Lord Tredegar), it stayed in the family until they left in 1951. It then became a school for 23 years before being purchased by the then Newport Borough Council in approx. 1976.



There are a group of people in the City who are 'Friends of Tredegar House'' and their sole task is to raise money to furnish the house with all it's original furnishings, or at least those that they can track down and buy back. They have bought much of the furniture back from America and other parts of the world. Many of the rooms are now completely restored and reflect the rise and fall of the Morgan family through time. Henry Morgan's claim to fame is the he was a Pirate! Hmm... must have been some money in it!


I have been around the house a few times, but not for many years. However, it is the 90 acre park I went to see today as I wanted to use the camera. The picture above is of the lake. There were a pair of swans who swam over to see if I had any food and their rapidly growing cygnets were with them.. This provided a wonderful photo opportunity, and I was at just the right angle to get the reflection from the sun on the water. The park and woodland walks are open all the year around from 9.am till dusk, so there were plenty of people about.


As well as taking the photographs, it was another opportunity for exercise! I have to go and weigh tomorrow night, so I am doing all the right things......... while I am still keen!

No comments: