The original Miss Jones

Tuesday 7 October 2008

St Ann's Well (The Virtuous Well)


Another very wet day. I decided to carry on with my photo sorting project, it's going to be a mammoth task! I came across some work (photographs) I took when doing my photography exams and this one above was one of them.


The Virtuous well was once known as St. Ann's well and was famous for it's cures. It is said to be four springs, three of them containing iron and each curing a different illness. Its niches held cups and offerings and there were also stone seats once situated there for travellers. It used to be a place of pilgrimage. The Well had been a significant religious site for many centuries before 1689, however little is known about the present structure.


To photograph it for my project I had to lie flat on my 'tum' in the field and inch closer on all fours if I wanted to get different angles as this horse-shoe shaped structure is partly sunken into the meadow. I hope there was no one watching!


I shall pack my project away for today, whilst coming across all sorts in these boxes, I am not exactly getting upset, just nostalgic for a life that is past, so time to call it a day!

No comments: