The original Miss Jones

Thursday 23 October 2008

My Personal Roots Chat ...



After posting the previous Blog on the Cholera cemetery in Tredegar, of which I have much more information now, I thought that I needed to address the balance for the good folk who still live in Tredegar.

The picture above is the Town Clock situated in the Circle and Tredegar's most famous attraction. Symbolic of the heart of the town, standing 72 feet high, it's what most people know Tredegar for. Of course, as I have mentioned before, the towns most famous son is Nye Bevan and therefore the birth of the NHS is attributed to Tredegar. It also boasts a whole ton of coal all in one piece, a very ornate band stand, the lovely Bedwellty Park and the much more recent Bryn Bach Park and lake.

Sadly the town centre itself has become quite run down as big supermarkets move ever closer and have forced the traders out. I don't know why this has been so prolific in Tredegar as neighbouring towns such as Blackwood and Ebbw Vale have not suffered such a devastating effect.

I have become quite interested in Tredegar's history in recent years and have decided that I will find out more about it as a small research project for the winter months.

Undoubtedly there will be more to talk about on Blogger!

No comments: