The original Miss Jones

Sunday 31 May 2009

A History Lesson.





I arrived at Church early this morning for no other reason other than I found a parking spot immediately instead of having to drive around for ages.


I got chatting to one of the Church wardens who was well informed about the building we were occupying. I asked about the brightly coloured cross on the East wall, which has long captured my interest, and was told it was created to commemorate the 50th Anniversary (in the year 2002) of the re-opening of the Church after the disastrous fire which broke out in the Church on 12th November 1949.



The cause of that fire has never been known. It was believed to be arson, but not proven. Restoration took two years and the Church was re-opened, fully restored, in September of 1952. I asked if I could photograph the cross and was told that I certainly could,so I am meeting with this guy on Friday of this week to take some photos. I shall post them next weekend. It really is quite unusual and quite stunning.


I asked about the stained glass windows behind the Alter and the Lady Chapel, and was told that at the time of the fire they were being repaired and were thus not destroyed.

I could have stayed and chatted for longer, but the service was about to start. Maybe I will learn so more on Friday.

``````````````````````````````
The photograph of the Clematis posted above was taken in my friends garden this afternoon. I couldn't sit in my own garden as the 21st party from yesterday is continuing with older guests (probably parents and other relatives ...) but the music is still loud. Roll on Monday morning. I have doled out my quota of patience for this weekend!

No comments: