The original Miss Jones

Friday 8 May 2009

Trefil Quarry, Tredegar

Trefil Quarry, Tredegar - Circ. 1960

While writing about memories from my childhood (which was last weeks homework from college) to prepare for children's writing, I came across a photograph of Trefil Quarry, Tredegar. I had actually been writing about The Nine Arches, but this photograph also took my mind back in time. It was a working Limestone Quarry when I was growing up, a few of my friends Dad's worked there.


I have read recently that there have been 'Raves' held in the Quarry and that some time back there was a set built there for the BBC production of 'Our Mutual Friend' by Charles Dickens, so it is used in a very different way in the 21st Century.


I need to return to Tredegar to the Cholera Cemetery to photograph it again, as the last set of photos were taken in a bad light. I will probably seek out the quarry also and see if I can get some photographs of that too. That should be a challenge!

No comments: