The original Miss Jones

Monday 18 May 2009

College, classes & other things .....



The above is not a dog bowl! It is my very first pottery mould, made by me, without help or supervision. I am really pleased with it. I made it at home Sunday afternoon. It was a wet Sunday, and we all know what they feel like. I had just read my homework for college (creative writing ) about a little girl who was preoccupied with death. After making notes for the discussion period on Monday, I felt I needed something to cheer me up. ...... so I made this.


I am useless at drawing, so I thought I could make a few small bowls using this mould, then practice designs on them. I am sure to get one nice one? I hope the pottery tutor will think I'm innovative!


The 'death' subject was duly tackled in the discussion group today. If this group are to be believed, and there is no reason why they shouldn't be, death is a big preoccupation for children, with the worry about their parents etc. Hmmm .. I don't remember that from my own childhood or my children being overly concerned about it, but that's what this writing and reading course is all about, challenging you to think!

`````````````````
Sadly, due to lack of support the creative writing may not be on the syllabus for next year, due to lack of interest in the subject. Conversely with pottery, there are so many waiting to join, that current students may not get in for 2009/10. As that one is an adult education course run by the local authority, the allocation of places is done on a first come first served basis. I shall have be be 'on the ball' with that one in August!

No comments: