The original Miss Jones

Tuesday 18 August 2009

The sea wall

The sea wall at Goldcliff - looking East.

After supper tonight I went out for a ramble on my own. Now that I have started doing this, I would like to continue, so I took myself down to Goldcliff and walked along the sea wall. It certainly blew the cobwebs away down there.

I was chatting to one of the locals who was telling me of the concerns regarding the sea defences. It appears that they need to be raised due to the projected effects of global warming. Uskmouth to Chepstow in particular are at risk. I am told £70 million is required to complete all the work before rising sea levels over the next 20 years destroys the area. Homes, farms, schools, indeed whole communities could be wiped out.

I asked what the Environment Agency's views on all this were, and was told they are aware of the potential threat but currently the cost is prohibitive. So much for my peaceful walk for some time to think. I did a lot of thinking alright, but about climate change. My own problems seemed small after that!

Although it has been a nice day weather wise, nice enough to spend the afternoon sitting in the garden with a friend, but this evening there was a rather fresh sea breeze that kept peoples coats firmly on their backs! The whole evening felt like an 'end of summer' evening and I felt somewhat melancholy coming home. We must look for the positives in the Winter months, not the negatives, as we endure the dark cold season. Easier said than done I think!

No comments: