The original Miss Jones

Friday 21 August 2009

Funereal Experiences

A lady whom I sit by in Church thought it was not quite right for me to go for this mornings echo cardiogram on my own, despite assurances that I would be fine, and usually did these things on my own. My appointment was 9.50. I set off in plenty of time to find parking as this is a nightmare when visiting the RGH. This sweet little lady flagged me down as I approached the meeting place and instructed me to park in the local undertakers, opposite the hospital. As I started to protest, she said she was a friend of the family and it would be fine. I snuggled in between two big shiny hearses and we walked over to the hospital. It was only 9.30. I was settling my new friend into the waiting room, when my name was called. I hadn't even sat down!



The echo cardiogram completed, I returned to my chaperon and we duly returned to the car. It was exactly 9.49! We had parked, walked to the cardiology, had the procedure, returned with a minute to spare before my scheduled appointment time.



The undertakers waved us off from their office window (Why did I ever doubt this lady?) and I soon dropped her off home before going into the office. Before we parted I thanked her for accompanying me and said I would, of course, inform her when I needed to go again and would be glad of her company!!! You must never look a gift horse in the mouth, and with parking at the RGH at a premium, I would be silly to refuse her offer. Mercenary I know!



When I got to the office, there was a funeral scheduled for this morning. Part of my duties is to provide all visiting undertakers with tea & coffee. All was going well, when into the side room where they wait went a young woman who started to breast feed her baby! I had about three minutes, to round up these sedate undertakers, all smartly dressed in their top hats and tails and herd them around to another part of the Church. My fellow office worker was in stitches with laughter and said I looked like a demented 'Bo-Peep'! Thank heavens we were well out of sight of the mourners - I think!

No comments: