The original Miss Jones

Saturday 18 July 2009

The Welsh Proms



I was lucky enough to get a ticket to the Welsh Proms tonight from someone in Church who could not attend. The Orchestra National De Ville was conducted by Owain Arwel Hughes CBE. It was a really super evening, the music brought a wonderful combination of music and a party atmosphere to St. David's Hall in Cardiff. The Promenaders were quite fun with their coloured balloons and their top hats, they were all cheering and clapping and were a joy to watch. It has always been my dream to attend the last night at the Proms in the Royal Albert Hall in London, but that for me will remain a pipe dream on financial grounds alone, so I guess this is the next best thing.

The second piece played was Grieg's Peer Gynt Suite No.1 This particular piece was my introduction to classical music in the early sixties and has remained a firm favourite ever since.

The last time I was in St David's Hall I was with my former husband, my friend and her husband. Little did I know then that she was going to have a raging affair with him and they would end up living together not far from the theatre!

I also reflected on my first visit there when it opened in the early eighties. I went on that occassion with another set of friends to see Victoria Wood. That friend is now a senior figure in the Church in Wales. I wonder if he is still a fan of Ms Wood?

No comments: